Since NAMI Miami-Dade started working remotely in March, our 4 staff members are working 7 days a week to alleviate some of the extreme need for mental health services due to COVID-19. According to an ABC News article, phone calls to mental health Helplines have increased 891%. We have felt this increase in anxiety, depression, isolation and need in Miami-Dade and have adjusted our programming accordingly. Our in-person programs are now all an online platform.
• HelpLines/Warmlines have increased in number and intensity and have been forwarded to all staff cell phones so there is no loss in community connection;
• Transitioned our in-person support groups to now hold 9 online support groups per week;
• Began a one-to-one Peer Wellness Check-in Pilot for those in need for more connection during Covid-19;
• Offer online our "Ending the Silence" for Youth Program and brought to Miami-Dade "Ending the Silence" for Families/Caregivers Program. We are in the midst of translating the program into Spanish and will be the first organization in the US to offer the program in the Spanish language;
• Our Social Media is reaching thousands of individuals each week with news, resources and inspirational posts.
Since March, we altered our course of action and devotedly work with the community in ways we did not envision before Covid-19. We will continue to bring more mental health programs and assistance to Miami-Dade County with your help.